Thursday, June 10, 2010

Favorite Patriotic Songs?

I’m putting together some patriotic music for Sweet Daughter, and I’m looking for some input – both for song titles and versions. For instance, I’m having a devil of a time finding an understandable vocal arrangement of the “Star Spangled Banner”. Choirs are lovely, but I’m hoping SD will learn the words. And did you know that if you put “Patriotic” in the album title, you have NO idea what you’re in for. Especially if the genre is “New Age”.

This album was titled “Songs Patriotic” and had this song listing:

My Country ' Tis Of Thee
Country Roads (Take Me Home)
America The Beautiful
America
Star Spangled Banner

Okay, even with Country Roads, I’m on board with this. Then we have:

Shower the People
Here Comes The Sun
Nights In White Satin

I beg your pardon???? This was followed by:

Amazing Grace
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Homeward Bound
Coast To Coast

WTH????

Out of curiosity, I click to listen to a few snippets of song, and it’s freakin’ Zamphir. Okay. I don’t know if it’s really Zamfir, but those are either Pan pipes or somebody’s been slipping something into my Lucky Charms. I also came across patriotic music on bagpipes (yay!) and accordion (I kept looking for the St. Pauli girl to show up with those huge jugs mugs of beer).

Anyhow, the songs I've got on my potential list so far are:

Stars and Stripes Forever
America
This Land is Your Land (Woody Guthrie version)
Grand Old Flag
Yankee Doodle
Yankee Doodle Dandy – James Cagney?
Johnny Comes Marching Home
Dixie
Battle Hymn of the Republic
God Bless America
My Country Tis of Thee
Ballad of the Green Berets – S. Sgt. Barry Saddler

I have a feeling this is going to morph into including a bunch of the old standards. Musical cultural literacy, so to speak.

Got any suggestions?

14 comments:

  1. Oh dear. I was going to start recommending some Civil War-era Irish fighting songs, but I wasn't sure of the potential "State's Rights vs. Slavery vs. Clueless Irish Cannon Fodder" arguments... there also seem to be an awful lot of whiskey references--maybe not for your daughter.

    There's a good Revolutionary War-type-song called The Rifleman's Song that I got on a CD at Brandywine Battlefield called "Homespun Songs of the Patriots in the American Revolution."

    Sorry, I kinda lean towards the really old songs that no one really knows what they sound like anymore. Not the most helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you mentioned in an older post that SD was learning the words to the "Star-Spangled Banner". That should definately be on the list. Also Katherine Lee Bates "America The Beautiful"

    A WWI favorite "Over There"??

    Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land" is perhaps a bit liberal, but a decent song of America.

    I like that you included "Dixie" on you list. Are you looking for regional songs as well? "Georgia on My Mind" is a great one. Either Willie Nelson or Ray Charles. Along those lines, most states have one or two songs that pretty much represent them. That could be another playlist altogether.

    "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood was hugely popular during the first Gulf War, and Trace Adkins "Til the Last Shot's Fired" is a tear jerker for me, but may be a little PG13 for SD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll second 'God Bless the USA' By Lee Greenwood.

    I fell in love with that song when I was 6 or 7, and I had it as a single on a casette tape. I made my mom play it every time we got in the car, and when it was finished, we'd rewind it and play it again, and again, and again...

    yeah, I'd definately include that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fav. . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPwsA5vnZ-w&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't know if you want Civil War songs, but if you do:

    I'm a good old rebel

    Rally 'round the flag

    John Brown's body

    The Bonnie Blue Flag


    Other Songs:

    Over There

    Anchor's Aweigh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bluesun --

    We're more the "paint yourself blue, put on a plaid skirt, and come screaming down the hills with a mucking great sword" flavor of Celt. . . the only time my bloodline was in Ireland for more than a trip, they were being paid (OK, "bribed") to go burn Irish villages and steal their cattle, rather than burn York and steal English cattle. (But I drink Irish. . . )

    Shorter Half

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Living in America" by James Brown.

    "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue" by Toby Keith.

    "(You Can Still) Rock in America" by NightRanger (okay, kidding on that one)

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Geodkyt

    I'm Scotch-Irish by ancestry, so I could go either way.

    wv was "imolized." No joke.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Geodkyt – descendant of the original Woad Warriors.

    Bluesun – I’ve actually got the CD “The Rifleman” is on – I’ll have to go back and re-listen to it. If I include that, then I’ll also have to include “The British Grenadiers”. *grin*

    Vinosaur – I think I mentioned the SSB at the top of the post, and I should have been more specific – I did mean “America the Beautiful”. Even if it makes cry. Every. Single. Time. Especially in church.

    “God Bless the USA” goes on the list …

    Ctone – If someone was calling cadence in the background, there’s no telling what Shorter Half (a.k.a. Geodkyt) would do. He might revert back to his 21-year-old DS self, and while interesting, would probably not end well. *VBG*

    JayG – Night Ranger? Very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. don't know if you like country music but a few songs from country sings are

    Where The Stars & Stripes & The Eagle Fly by Aaron Tippin

    Ragged Old Flag by Johnny Cash

    America Why I Love Her by John Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  11. "America, I Love you" by Alice Faye

    ReplyDelete
  12. best National Anthem I've ever heard is by a woman named Katie Davis, I believe she is from Knoxville Iowa. She's been singing it live at the Knoxville Nationals sprint car races for years. Clear as a bell, no country "twist" or anything like that. Knoxville Raceway has it on tape and use it during some weekly shows, might contact them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Battle of New Orleans." >VBEG<
    Speaking as a Retired Camouflage Person, I got heartily sick and tired of hearing "God Bless The USA" at every semi-official gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  14. IF you find a copy of Katie Davis singing it.. prepare to cry! she has amazing pitch. and sing's it better than anybody Iv'e ever heard! hell I'd pay to see the nationals just to hear her sing it.. oh and buy the way her "OH CANADA" is might fine too!
    She does live in Knoxville IA and is only about 5 blocks from the track from what I'm told.

    ReplyDelete