Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Well, I forgot the cupcakes ….

Saturday morning, I woke up at 4:00 and couldn’t get back to sleep. This, and an a couple extra distractions left me behind the curve on my way out the door to WV on Saturday.

I’d printed out directions for the range, but neglected to put in the actual street and address. My Garmin didn’t recognize the name of the town I needed and so I just headed in the general direction of WV and decided to figure it out later.
I got to Fredericksburg before I realized I’d left both the promised cupcakes and my coffee on the kitchen counter.

There was a lot of cussing during the next 45 miles or so.
I found the range, no problem, then had the always enjoyable conversation of telling a stranger I was looking for people I didn’t know except from the internet. For some reason, that always makes me feels a little … odd.

I met Murphy’s Law, and had Proud Hillbilly and Stretch pointed out to me.
Stretch made me feel ... petite.
Saw some familiar faces and, considering how my morning was going … just hung out for a while. I got the hackbut going, and the first shot gave me no problems. The balls were a little bit snug, and the second got stuck, as did about every 5th round. That got frustrating, and so I went and watched the guys on the 200 yard rifle range. And I got to shoot a Swedish Mauser. And a lever action something of Andrew’s (sorry … I don’t remember what it was) and an M1.
And then the call went out “There’s a guy here with a Barrett (M82A1).50 and he’s letting people shoot it!”

I went and watched. When that thing fired, it was like being passed by a car on the highway. The hair blew back, and pantslegs flapped in the passing wind. I got to shoot it. Twice. On a 400-yard range. (I was too chicken to ask if I actually hit the target.) There was a happy dance. There is video somewhere, but hopefully not of the happy dance. I’m here to tell you that the adrenaline rush of that thing lasted a solid 5 hours. No back pain at all on the drive home. It also gave me a case of lead-foot, but that’s what cruise-control is for.


Afterwards, Murphy’s Law said, “Did you bring any 9 with you? Bring it here.” And I got to fire this.

 
And my first target looked like this.

Beginner's Luck
 
Then I got to shoot some lovely pistols. Murphy complimented me on my not flinching.


“Flinching?”
“Yeah. You’re not anticipating recoil.”

“I just shot a Barrett .50. What recoil??”
I got to watch Keads shoot … and then, when I thought the day couldn’t hold any more awesome, out came the M-60. There is something hypnotic about that thing. That was, without a doubt, the best range day I have ever had.

Thanks to all who made it happen!


 More reports here and here.

 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for coming and adding much color to the event...even if you did forget the cupcakes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to meet you. And that was a doggone good day of shooting and watching folks have fun shooting. And shooting the breeze. That's always good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to meet you and I have the video, just have not got it edited and published yet. Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "And then the call went out “There’s a guy here with a Barrett (M82A1).50 and he’s letting people shoot it!”"

    "WHAT?" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luckily, the cupcakes were delicious, I can assure everyone. Delicious, delightful, FFFF cupcakes. . . Mmmmmm. . . ;)

    ReplyDelete