Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Peteresburg and Peeps

We went to Battersea Plantation almost two weeks ago for a reenactment. It's not a large event, but the site treats us well (and feeds us on Saturday night), it's fairly close, it's kid friendly and it's one of our favorite events. Saturday started off okay, and I even made an apple raisin pie. In the afternoon, it rained. A lot.
The rain stopped, so we ran up to the house and grabbed some dinner, and then went back to to camp, and it rained some more.


Then, we got a rainbow! (Sorry, it wasn't a double, and nobody cried.) It was a full arc, and probably the brightest one I've ever seen. Sweet Daughter learned all about leprechauns in school for St. Patrick's Day, and warned us about how they'd trick us if we saw one.


This photo doesn't even begin to do it justice.


Once the rain stopped, a fire was built and it was time for the annual First Roasting of the Peeps. As you can see, we've been collecting them for a few months.

And the supporting cast was brought out as well. In addition to the bacon, we brought S'Mores supplies. Yes, those are Goldfish crackers.


Years of research have resulted in the best method: Wrap thin-sliced, pre-cooked bacon around a Peep, secure with toothpicks, then roast over an open fire.

Add graham crackers, chocolate, and prepare for your eyes to roll back in your head. It was enough for me to forget my wet shoes.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, dear, I am ROFLMAO!! Pigs 'N Peeps! Who'da thunk?? I have to link this to my friends - they're going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting twist on S'Mores! Bacon makes everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks absolutely sinful and delicious. Now I know what I'm going to do on the family campouts this summer!

    ReplyDelete