Friday, July 13, 2012

I know, I know.

I am LONG overdue for a post. But it’s not like I’ve been sitting around all this time. Well, not much.

This spring, I decided I needed a new camp bed. My prototype had a couple of issues, and I thought I could improve upon my design.  So I sat down with a pencil and an index card and played around with some numbers, taught Sweet Daughter how to select lumber, and then went and cut it all according to the number while visiting my sister with the table saw. I also cut down my original camp bed for SD to use. And managed to leave the headboard behind. Sigh.

I got a good start on it in April, hoping to have it done in time for the Petersburg event, but that didn’t happen.  With SD’s help, I got it put together.

And painted.


And it worked. By having three support panels instead of two, it’s easier to pack and transport. The prototype needed one simple adjustment – one of the side boards had warped, and I needed to adjust some of the hardware to account for that. It made me cringe to not have it all square and plumb and stuff, but it works. As my brother-in-law said, “Working code trumps all theory.”


Having two bedsteads in the tent makes for a narrow aisle up the middle, but there is a ton of storage under them. And if it rains, I don’t have to worry about drying out wet bedding. No, they are not accurate, but if you happen to seem from outside the tent, they pass. And they’re a heck of a lot better that a cot from a Dead-Animal-Head-on-the-Wall store.

The Barracks
Then there was a trip to Ft. Frederick at the end of June for the 50th Anniversary of the Brigade of the American Revolution. There weren’t as many participants as I was expecting, but it was a lovely relaxing weekend. Well, except for having to haul our gear into and out of the fort. And for where my leather shoes slipped on the dew-slicked wooden steps and I slid down a few on my shins (yes, I was holding on to the railing), but I got ice on the shins, and ingested some rum punch and felt better.

Breakfast
Salmungundi for lunch with fresh raspberries, beef, chicken, oranges, hardboiled eggs, mixed greens, oranges, fried chicken skin and I've forgotten the rest.
The view from the top of the fort shortly before slipping on the stairs.
The view from camp after slipping on the stairs.
I finished another gown for SD.
Tired girls.
Gate
Then it was off to the beach for a week with my sisters, which is another post. And I am starting on an insanely ambitious sewing project that is already overcome by mission creep that I refuse to jinx by typing it all out. Maybe I'll post pictures as bits get finished. I need it done by Columbus Day weekend.

More as I come up for air ...

6 comments:

  1. I love the picture of SD with her head on your lap. Actually all the pictures are fabulous.

    Rum punch. Drink more rum punch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto.
    Great picture of you and the little one. That one should go on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to agree, that pic of you all together is wonderful. It'll be one she shows her daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with the group. That is a fabulous picture!

    You are an extremely talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, incredible photos. You have many gifts and we appreciate you sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Busy with real life trumps blogging! Glad you didn't really hurt yourself. Thanks for the pics!

    ReplyDelete