Saturday, April 28, 2012

I owe you guys for a target!

So Sweet Daughter and I made it up to the Range this morning to meet up with a few of the “locals”. We hung up as the rest of the gang showed up. SD entertained herself (and us to some extent) by playing in a drainage ditch at the edge of the parking lot. She was leaping over a culvert with a steep slope up one side and some wobbly rocks over the opening of the ditch.

Me: "SD - be careful playing on those rocks. All I've got with me is Neosporin and bandaids. No needle and thread to sew you up."

Gunnie 1, offhand: "I've got a trauma kit, but I don't know how to use it."

Gunnie 2, helpfully: "I've got some Quick-Clot."

Gunnies are such helpful people.

So the range opens up and we get in line. And the crew grabs 3 lanes. I knew SD couldn’t shoot until she was seven, but I was hoping I could take her in and let her watch. Nope. Insurance regulations.  Two different people offered to watch SD so I could get some trigger time in, and for that I am extremely grateful, but it wasn’t their job to babysit. Besides, you know how there’s always “That Guy” at the range? That was going to be me, today. I could feel it in my bones. The trip started with me leaving my pistol behind and having to go back and get it, and my gun handling skills did not improve as the morning went on. So, I got to meet a couple of new faces and stiff the group for the price of a target.

You see, SD really wanted to take a target home and so we picked one out. And the guy behind the counter wouldn’t sell it to me because it was too much trouble to ring up just one target. He insisted on adding it to your bill. And he wouldn’t let me leave money to pay for it. I know, I could have just put it back and let SD see this as a lesson in Jagger’s Law but I didn’t because I didn’t want to risk a temper tantrum.  And I’m not talking about SD.

So, in closing, it was great to see familiar faces, and to meet new ones. I hope we can do it again sometime when I’m not “That Guy”. I’m sorry I didn’t get to say goodbye to y’all, and I owe you a target.

7 comments:

  1. ROFL! Just let me know if you want the Quick-Clot. :)

    Also, I like the pellet gun idea. Let me know if you do that.

    Great seeing you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll work on the pellet gun idea. It would be nice if we can pick a weekend when CTone can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great meeting you and Sweet Daughter. Looking forward to the next time. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed at that one. It sounds like a good day all around, too much on call for me lately and range time has been sparse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed meeting you and Sweet Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wouldn't let you buy ONE target [or wouldn't just give one to a little girl]?!? Sounds like y'all need a different place to go...

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, trust me we've ALL had those days... and one target? That is BS... sigh

    ReplyDelete