Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy All Hallows Eve


I survived the parade and party at school with Sweet Daughter today. Swim class was attended, and then trick or treating ensued with her BFF. While watching her go down a driveway and up the steps of a house, an older gentleman urged me to keep a close eye on her. I assured him that I was. Well, "someone" was stealing kids the next county over. Without ever taking my eyes off of her, I stated quite emphatically that "I'd like to see somebody try."

He quit trying to talk to me after that. Maybe it's because I thought to myself, "Self? What better way to 'steal' a kid than to act like you're the good, helpful guy?" and I kept aware of his whereabouts the whole time. Maybe he didn't smell "victim" and went elsewhere, or most likely, he was just trying to be nice and strike up a random conversation and I wasn't cooperating. He was there with two grandchildren, and chances are he was just fine, though a little odd in choice of ice-breaking conversation. Either way, it didn't matter. My job was to make sure SD stayed safe and had a good time. Mission accomplished.

3 comments:

  1. Might he have caught a glimpse of a Springer XD in a shoulder holster, and that sent him on his way? Deterrents work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deterrence is all in how you 'phrase' it :-) Glad it was successful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regardless of your interaction with him, it is your attitude that is most important. And clearly, you were mentally prepared for the worse thing that could happen. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete