Friday, May 13, 2011

Woman with a gun in plain sight and a child in tow …

… enter a grocery store and pick up some milk. And had a very nice conversation with a gentleman with a “Waste Management” t-shirt whose accent indicated that he originated way north of the “Sweet Tea Line”* about the different types of flavored coffee creamer that are available. Sweet Daughter selected some discounted Easter stickers to buy with her allowance and only fussed when she realized that I carry her on the same side as my pistol (uncomfortable for her), and so insisted on riding in a cart. The rather flamboyant cashier with the multi-colored star tattoos on his neck and the multiple facial piercings didn’t even bat an eye. But then, I don’t think I was his type.

I just wonder how long it will be until I have the guts to do this while shopping for shoes or clothes in the city.


*The Mason-Dixon line has nothing to do with where the South begins. When you go to your localnon-chain eatery and ask for sweetea (all one word) and they don’t bring regular iced tea and sugar packets, but have a separate pitcher of tea-flavored simple-syrup, you know you’re in the south. I was in a restaurant near Annapolis and asked for sweet tea. I was informed that they didn’t have any, but they had regular tea and sugar. “That’s not a solution” I said. “That’s a precipitate.”


I’m such a geek.

4 comments:

  1. I know you said "non-chain" but I was surprised to find sweetea @ Micky D's here.
    On one of my bike trips down there, I discovered catfish sandwiches & sweetea; I do miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever had sweet tea, or sweetea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Yankee enough to take my tea unsweetened, with lemon.

    Around here, the line is the river. North of it little to no sweet tea. South of it, brown sugar syrup with hints of black pecoe is the default.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great day OC'ing! Great job Nancy!

    ReplyDelete