Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Manchester Banyan, part 3

After setting in the sleeves, I tried to mock up a collar following the proportions of the pattern. It was awful. It didn’t stand high enough, and it appeared that the neckline had stretched out a bit. Even with pinning it together on the sides, it just didn’t sit right. And with the front turned back, it just looked … wrong.



First I basted around the neckline and took up some of the fullness like I did with the sleeves. Then I drew a new pattern, cut it out another collar and pinned it on. Not so great. I slashed it apart to get it to sit properly and he redrew another pattern.

Better, but still not great. So I grabbed a scrap and just sort of winged (wung?) it. This seemed to work a little better. A little trimming and I seemed to get a good fit.


Of course, I forgot to get pictures of it from the back and sides, but that's looking pretty good so far. (Knock wood!)

2 comments:

  1. Boy, your model has a great haircut! the banyan is looking great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You have an amazing talent and more patience than a saint! I think I'm clever to sew dog beds and Christmas stockings! Can't wait to see the finished project! It's just BEAUTIFUL so far!

    ReplyDelete