Monday, January 17, 2011

It's Hot Buttered Rum Day!

It's National Hot Buttered Rum Day, and to celebrate I'm sharing an 18th century receipt with you. It's not some watered-down abomination with sugar and butter "optional".  Use real maple syrup, butter, cider (NOT clear juice) and dark rum, and you have a drink that will relax a gerbil high on meth.

For one:

1 cup cider
1 Tbsp maple syrup
3/4 teaspoon butter
1/4 cup rum

For two:

2 cups cider
1/8 cup maple syrup
11/2 teaspoon butter
1/2 cup rum

For a group:

4 cups cider
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp butter
1 cup rum

For a crowd:

8 cups cider
1 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup butter
1 quart rum

7 comments:

  1. I'm goin' straight for the "crowd" size, methinks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, man. I am out of black rum and my maple syrup is back home in colorado...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang it! I should have added cider to the shopping list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has there been extensive meth-addled gerbil testing done? If so, were any gerbils harmed during the testing? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can neither confirm nor deny having any gerbils sample this beverage. I *can* tell you it is worth the trip to the store for the ingredients. I can also tell you to drink it before it gets cold and the butter solidifies again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What would be the correct way to get it hot? Mix it all together and then heat it up? Heat the cider and then mix the rest of the ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  7. At home, I throw the cider, syrup and butter in a mug and microwave it until hot and then stir the rum in last. But I don't think it really matters and long as you set the rum ablaze over an open fire.

    ReplyDelete