Friday, October 1, 2010

Brandywine Creek

Last weekend we traveled to Brandywine Creek State Park near Wilmington, DE, for an event. The weather Friday night was gorgeous. Warm, with a lovely breeze, and a moon one day past full meant I stayed up way too late enjoying both the weather and the company, including some friends I haven’t seen since before Sweet Daughter was born.

Sunrise on Saturday

Saturday was another lovely day. Sweet Daughter got out her 18th century-style watercolors and proceeded to paint some paper fans. The solid tablets of color are put into small dishes (oyster shells work really well) and a little water is added.

Painting a fan

Sweet Daughter explaining what she was doing to the public.
 
Oyster shells holding what's left of the paint tablets.

There was a battle scenario with lots of artillery. I reminisced about how I missed my days out on the field serving on a field piece, and then I watched the crews pull their guns UP the hill, back into camp, and I didn’t miss it so much anymore. There was a really nice bunch of sutlers and I found many, many things that I “needed”.

After a supper of corn chowder, we made bacon Peeps. And then the rum came out. But not just any rum. Michael W. brought Pyrat Pistol rum. Amazing stuff. (Michael W. is very, very good to his friends.) Much rum punch was consumed. There was mirth and merry-making. That’s what I remember, anyway. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

 Pyrat Pistol Rum. If single malt was rum, it would taste like this.

Sunrise on Sunday

Sunday morning dawned a bit gray. And then it rained off an on most of the day. There was a skirmish in the morning, for fun, and another fantastic battle for the public later in the day. And it stopped raining in time to pack up. All in all, a great weekend!*

More pictures (not mine) can be found here.
*The drive home was a bit odd, but that's a post for another time.

6 comments:

  1. Whoa. Did you see the guy in the review say to replace vanilla in a recipe with the rum? I just had a brilliant idea: homemade rum ice cream...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replace vanilla with rum? I've been doing that for 25 years in my French Toast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bluesun: Never had run raisin ice cream? You poor so-and-so.

    Nancy: You used to service the guns? Now I have to decide whether to call you "Molly" or "Deborah"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. D.W. - Call me Deborah. I wore a regimental, not petticoats. But then, I was a good deal younger, and, um, less "curvy", and I passed the "5' rule" fairly easily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know that I'm not the only one who does that to french toast...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a good time. Sorry I couldn't make it. I ended up in Philly for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete