Sunday, April 7, 2013

Comfort Zone

Today I tried something new … something outside my comfort zone. I did push mower maintenance.

I know. It’s not rocket surgery or even brain science, but I taught myself to change the oil, the blade and the spark plug. The air filter was changed too, but I learned that 20 years ago. I took pieces off, went to my local hardware store, picked out replacements and had a trained professional confirm that I had the right stuff. I went home, put pieces back on, primed the hell out of it and IT STARTED.
The rumors that I did fist-pumps in the air while doing a “Snoopy dance” are greatly exaggerated. Maybe.
 
Observation 1. So that’s what clean oil looks like. I couldn’t even see it on the dip stick.
Observation 2. Well that explains why I had to overlap my rows so much last year.
Observation 3. Wow. It even smells different while running when it’s got clean parts.
Observation 4. Next up – the riding mower. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

12 comments:

  1. Looks like you mowed a few rocks with that blade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now take a torch and pound that blade into a sword.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blink,...blink. Have a forge....and a friend who wants to make knives. Beats the car spring steel idea.

      Delete
  3. My to-do list includes such things...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm, yeah looking at the blade, it was 'due' to put it mildly! :-) Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy crap.

    With that blade, I'm surprised it hadn't rattled itself apart.


    P.S. - You are now qualified to soup up the riding mower. I got $10 says you can get it up to 25 mph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my family the "push mower" required lots of "push" in order to spin the reel:

    http://non-electric.lehmans.com/search#w=mower

    That's why we kids preferred the gas-mower. It had parts like your push mower...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, but no putting Purple Horny Headers on the riding mower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did this myself this weekend (minus the blade swap, though I did sharpen mine). Its always nice to have a skill in your wheel house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. had a neighbor who taught us...just change the blade in spring.

    ReplyDelete