Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Open Carry Weekend Reminder and my 2 cents

Just a reminder that OC weekend is coming up June 2-3.

It seems there is a segment of the gunnie population that is against Open Carry, and a few of them quite vociferously so. I was going to add my 2 cents to the discussion (echo chamber?) when I realized that I can’t do it as well as Linoge, or the comments here , or Robb, or a bunch of others, and it doesn’t matter.

While some will bemoan my lack of “training”, Sweet Daughter will be explaining to a kid in Target who wanted to know “why that lady has a gun” that I wear a gun to keep her safe.  Others will assume I must be an “attention whore” and I wear a gun in order to start conversations. That being said, if you're staring at my gun which just happens to be next to my left boob and you hurriedly complement the azalea in my shopping cart (directly in front of my left boob) as a way to prove you weren't really staring at my gun or my boob, I will respond in a pleasant manner even though I really didn’t notice you staring because I just want to check out and go home. And no, I’m not just waiting for my opportunity to engage in “ass-clownery” so I can pump my fist in the air and yell “SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!” when in fact I’m a raging introvert that just wants to do my errands in safety.

I have my own reasons to OC and I’m very thankful that I live in a part of the world where I can do so.  If there are those that don’t like OC, then by all means – don’t do it. I’ll make a deal with you – I won’t tell you what do to, and you don’t tell me what to do. Because I don’t remember asking your opinion, and I certainly don’t need your permission.

9 comments:

  1. Open carry also warns those with mayhem on their minds that various venues are *not* "disarmed victim zones".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't have said it better myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Because I don’t remember asking your opinion, and I certainly don’t need your permission." -- Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://themillermeister.blogspot.com/2012/06/open-carry-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. The irony of Open Carry in Target.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I OC in my home state because they insist that I have to have a license to CC there, and I've decided that I'm strongly opposed to getting a license to exercise a right. I'm also not bold enough to just break the law, even though I see it as unjust, because I don't need the trouble. And I'll be damned if I'll be defenceless just to make anti-OC folks happy.

    ReplyDelete