Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Mittens from Hell

I've made 18th century mittens before. Somewhere between 6 and 12 pair, and they aren't exactly complicated. But this latest pair were possessed, I swear. I started them last December. I ripped them out and started again in January. I've started them over at least four times. Then, when knitting the mate, I realized about 3/4 of the way through that it was a little wider than the other. WTH? Then I realized that I was running out of yarn, but that's happened to me before. Worst case scenario, I simply unravel from the bottom until I'm done, and then I pick up the stitches and knit back down in a contrasting color. I squeaked by with may an extra 15 feet of yarn, and oh, did I mention that I'm having issues with my gauge lately? (Lately being the past 11 months ...) These turned out waaaay too big. But that's okay! I figured I can full them (shrink them on purpose) up a bit. Can't make them bigger, but I can make them smaller! And guess what happened? No, they did NOT end up too small (and I have no idea how I lucked out there), but the discrepancy in width is now really obvious. And I think they're still too big. I'm sorry, Chris, but these are going to have to tide you over for now. I'll try again later. Maybe in 2012.


  1. Thanks for the reminder that winter approaches.

    I once had a pair of fleece-lined, suede leather mittens, back in Minnesota or Iowa where they were quite appropriate. For those that haven't worked in mittens in cold weather, I imagine it can be quite startling just how little dexterity you lose, and how much warmer they keep the fingers. I miss those mittens.

    I wonder if there is a pattern for *crocheted* mittens?

  2. One of these days I must learn to knit. I can't put my big meathooks into commercially available gloves, so I either wear mittens or half-finger gloves.

    Don't give up. Some projects are like that.

  3. Meh... At least you CAN knit... I tried a few stitches and ended up having to cut the @#&& knot I ended up tying! LOL