Saturday, February 6, 2010

I’m enjoying this way too much.

I’m enjoying this on so many different levels. First, as someone that sews way too much 18th century clothing, the costumes didn’t make me want to poke myself in the eye with a hot soldering iron. This is a good thing. As a reenactor, I love the whole concept of this piece. As a descendent of one of the Signers, I’m glad to see their message presented memorably. As someone who had a stint as a “nightclub” DJ in the 1980s and remembers when MTV played music and not reality TV, I love how this evolves. As someone who loves the movie “Last of the Mohicans”, I loved the scene with violin on the promontory. And as someone who has read bit about Franklin, I could SO see him shredding the guitar were he alive today. As Shorter Half put it, “He did not live life by halves. If he was going to have the circus, he would have all the clowns there.”

Without further ado, I bring you:


Lyrics

Halfway across the globe
And we're standing on new ground
Screaming 'cross the waves
You can't hear a sound
There's no fair trials, no trade, no liberties
No tea
We've colonized America; we won't stand for tyranny,
Oh king

And it's too late to apologize
It's too late
I said it's too late to apologize
It's too late

We've paid your foolish tax, read the acts
And they just won't do
We want to make it clear, we believe this much is true
All men were created with certain
Unalienable rights
Among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit
Of happiness

And it's too late to apologize
It's too late
I said It's too late to apologize
It's too late

It's too late to apologize
It's too late
I said it's too late apologize
It's too late

I said it's too late to apologize, yeah
It's too late
I said it's too late to apologize, yeah

Halfway across the globe
And we're standing on new ground

John Hancock has the pen. The really long pen. That’s he’s stroking in an odd manner. Thomas Jefferson is singing, John Adams has the hair that makes him look like a Cocker Spaniel, Sam Adams is sloshing the ale around, Ben Franklin is the one that looks like, well, Ben Franklin. And if the gaze George the III doesn’t make you want to put a couple of rounds through your monitor, then I don’t you hanging around me or my daughter.

Original website here.

Interesting comments here.

And if you haven’t see the One Republic video that sparked this, go here. It explains the self-combusting portrait of GIII.
 
H/T to CTone!

4 comments:

  1. I think I already listened to it about 7 times this morning. Hasn't gotten old yet...

    By the way, isn't it amazing how fast these things go around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, it makes me want to get a wig and a ruffled shirt! I might have to look into that reenacting stuff.

    Okay, I'll shut up now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know. If you're ever out here visiting the mid Atlantic area, we'll introduce you to the hobby. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait until the knee high pants come back into style!

    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete